Wednesday, November 15, 2017

WIP: Japan's exclusive Space Marine Heroes


"I don't need any more Space Marines. Ever." [promptly buys Space Marine]

Ok, it was ONE marine - as a souvenir.

On a recent trip to visit family in Tokyo, I stopped by the Warhammer store in Harajuku for old time's sake. I was just browsing the shelves to see if there were any new releases that would reignite my hobby interest, and found these; the Japan exclusive Space Marine Heroes.


I couldn't pass up the chance to grab at least one these exclusives. The set of 12 unique marines are blind packed (something that's very popular in Japan) and retail for about $6.50 each. Some of the poses are bog-standard, but a few, like the chainsword and grav pistol wielding sgt. (the one I got) really stand out.



Full color instructions are included, but the models are mono-pose, with a snap fit build. They include a great amount of detail, though, and the sculptural bases are a nice touch. You can see from the sprue, that the model is molded in blue (a recent change in many of the starter kits) and assembly is simple.


Each model comes with a card that includes backstory about the hero, and some kinds of stats, but as far as I can tell, they don't really have any bearing on the game. It's just more fluff.

Of course, you can guarantee a complete set by buying an entire box, which will net you two of each, but at about $180 US, it was a hard pass. Had they marketed a single set, it might have been a purchase.

Still, happy to have my exclusive marine from Japan, as a souvenir. I'll paint him up at some point.

-trip

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I just bought a whole box from ebay. These are hard to accquire outside of Japan. I noticed the models have larger legs than regular Tactical Marines, they are more in line with the Mk8 Deathwatch Kill Team models. I'll paint a small squad of them as well at some point, but I'll be selling the more boring sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the translated Japanese words for the stats so much better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete