Tuesday, October 20, 2020

WIP: Dark Angels Primaris Army - Part 27: Ravenwing Primaris Chaplain Conversion

Well, shit. Let's start a Ravenwing force, I guess.

I held off as long as I could. I even sold the bikes I refurbished without turning them into Ravenwing - but when GW makes something Primaris, well... I can't seem to help myself.

I knew this was going to happen when I bought Indomitus and saw the great new Primaris Outrider models. I ordered the Ravenwing Command Squad box and the Ravenwing upgrade sprue in preparation. When the Chaplain model was revealed, that clinched it.

The model is already great, but we can make it truly "Ravenwing" using the bits from our upgrade kits. Once I had the kit built, I had plenty of options for conversion.

I even remembered I had an Age of Sigmar Heroic base that I thought I'd never use. It's a perfect match for my existing Shattered Dominion bases, and will really give my Ravenwing's new HQ some serious style!

It only took a few bits to drastically alter the look of the bike, bringing it inline with the Ravenwing aesthetic. The largest change was clipping the wings from one of the upgrade sprue cowlings, and placing it on the ferring. I've seen these placed on the front forks, and that looks cool as well.

The next major change was adding the tail wing from the Ravenwing Command kit. This actually took a bit of work, clipping and preparing the part, as the new Outrider bikes have much less room on the rear fender for mounting accessories. Lastly, given how busy the model already was, I took a single purity seal from the upgrade sprue and added it to the bike.

Inspecting the pose more closely, I realized that unlike the other existing Outrider sculpts, this bike is stopped - the front wheel is canted, and the Chaplain has one foot firmly planted on the ground to balance the bike. The heroic base was going to be perfect! Our Chaplain has stopped on an elevated bit of rubble and raised his Crozius aloft to better inspire those around him!

I've kept the head off, to make painting the details a bit easier. Not sure how I'm going to paint my Ravenwing, to be honest. I HATE painting and edge highlighting black. I've considered trying a drybrush technique, like my main force, but the test model I did for my Deathwatch killteam just ended up looking chalky. I've also thought about painting them silver, and using an overwash of contrast Basillicanum Grey. Do you have any suggestions? Leave them in the comments below.

-trip

2 comments:

  1. Nice conversion! Blends perfectly with the Ravenwing. Congrats on the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. this really makes me miss the modeling part of the hobby. The painting part just kills me though. Exhausting

    ReplyDelete