Monday, September 30, 2013

SHOWCASE: Tyranid Trygon / Mawloc


This Trygon / Mawloc kit was the second monstrous creature I ever painted, and the first I ever painted with an airbrush, and includes some of my first conversion work.

This is the kit that got me into the tyranids, and the hobby in general. I was dragged to the Glendale, CA Games Workshop store by Greymantle, and when I saw this, it was all over. I was IN.

Oddly, the first monstrous creature kits I got (the Tervigon, and Hive Tyrant) were birthday gifts, and I purchased this kit for myself many months later. Having successfully magnetized both the Tervigon and Hive Tyrant, I also magnetized the Trygon / Mawloc kit to be convertible. The head carapace, mandibles and lower jaw are all interchangeable to allow it to be both creatures.


As mentioned, the model also includes my first conversion work. Instead of choosing between the single barbed tail, and the pincer tail, I converted the model to include both, creating a custom trident tail, complete with newly sculpted details between the barbs.

Lastly, as the Mawloc is infamous for bursting up from underground to surprise and devour its prey like a trap door spider, I modeled a custom base that included broken floor tiles and a Space Marine being thrown off his feet. The barrel and marine are also magnetized, so they can be removed.

Have you painted a monstrous creature? Have any advice about magnetizing or converting? share it below!

5 comments:

  1. I love the tiles - how did you make them? Plasticard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the floor piece from the old GW plastic ruins. If you google "GW plastic ruins" you'll see pics in the first few results. I grabbed mine on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, gotcha. I actually have a few of those.

      Other note, added you to my blog's Blogroll

      Delete
  3. what chapter is the space marine from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's from a chapter of my own making, The Sons of Titan. Under the latest codex, I play them as an Ultramarines successor.

      Delete