Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dieter's First Post- WIP: Grey Knights Terminators


Hey there, this is the first of what I hope will be many posts on H.O.W. (and indeed my first blog post ever- do I get a cookie?).  For my first foray in to the blogosphere I decided to show what I'm currently working on- the first units of my new Grey Knights army.  These Terminators are crazy cool models and a lot of fun to work on.

As a quick intro, I've been in the hobby for a little under a year.  I actually bought a starter set back in 2000 and put a few units together, but after my then girlfriend spent a few too many nights of sitting bored while I happily cut and glued away, she encouraged me to stop the hobby before I really got in to it.  Last November, I discovered that Tripwire and Greymantle had gotten in to things and decided it was time to proudly embrace my nerddom once again.

As you can see, I'm painting my new army in an assembly line.  This is the first time I've attempted it, and it certainly has its advantages.  I feel like I'm making much quicker work of these than previous units, and I'm not having to work around arms and guns to reach tough details.  The only downside is having to be very careful you keep your source light consistent without having the parts all assembled on the model.



These guys were all base coated in Vallejo Black Metal, with the next coat sprayed top down in Gunmetal.  A final sparing highlight of Steel completes the base metal.  All the guns stopped at Black metal and will get some highlights eventually.  I think I'll do that once they're assembled.



The Force Weapons all got a base of steel and then the blue highlights of Tamiya Clear Blue were airbrushed on. This one is a crappy cell phone pic.  They really do look pretty good. Next step is to freehand the lightning on. This is my first time consistently working with the Vallejo alcohol-based metallics (primarily Old Gold on these models on the weapons and lettering). They're still taking some getting used to.  A bit tricky to work with, but man do they pop.



I don't get tons of hobby time (trying not to recreate that same situation with another girlfriend) so my posts may be sporadic, but I'm looking forward to it.  Happy to take input, ideas, or general discussion.
~Deet


2 comments: