Thursday, August 16, 2018

WIP: Imperial Terrain

Today, on 'This Old Sanctum'...

Have had these ruins forever. For some reason I can't remember, I built them as two separate pieces. (maybe I was light on terrain back then) I've decided to connect the two, and make a halfway decent building out of them.

I took some leftover pieces from the Imperial Sector box and completed the floor to connect the halves. Bit of a mismatch, but that will all be fixed by some paint.

I masked the parts that were already painted and applied a primer coat of vallejo white.

Once the primer was set, I applied a layer of vallejo bonewhite. This is the base color I used on the previously painted floor, so it's the first step to a seamless match.

After the bonewhite dried, I applied a layer of satin varnish. This is necessary when using an oil wash. It created a barrier so that the wash does not stain the paint below, and is easily wiped away.

The wash is simply oil paint (vandyke brown, in this case) and mineral spirits (turpenoid thinner), mixed to a milky consistency.

The wash is applied with a large brush (NEVER use the same bushes you would for your acrylic paints) and allowed to sit for 30 minutes.

When 30 minutes has passed, the wash is wiped clean using a cotton cloth wetted with turpenoid. This removes the wash from the high areas, but leaves it in the recesses revealing the details.

The final step was to paint and drybrush the new wall sections, and the renovation was complete. Instead of two walled ruins, we now have one large building with an easy-to-access second floor!


1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I like your choice of colors overall. Interesting contrast between the different surfaces.