Tuesday, April 16, 2019

WIP: Dark Angels Primaris Army - Part 3: Base Instincts


Too much shattered, not enough Dominion.

Decided early on to base my new army using the GW scenic bases. I enjoyed using them on my Deathwatch Kill Team, and my imagination sparked when I saw the Age of Sigmar "Shattered Dominion" 40mm bases. They would make a perfect, light colored, cathedral-like floor for my Dark Angels.


I grabbed a set, along with a box of 32mm, but was disheartened to discover that the 32mm bases were a lot more "shattered" and not much "dominion". Unlike the 40mm bases (and the 60mm that came with them), the 32mm bases had almost no tiling, and were rife with huge, sculpted cracks.

What's a boy to do?

Internet (and Japan) TO THE RESCUE!


I soon discovered a way to make quick and easy molds of existing parts using a thermal plastic from Japan called "Oyamaru". A great tutorial can be found HERE. I ordered two packs from amazon and spent an afternoon making molds of the existing 40 and 60mm bases.



Once I had the molds, I simply rolled out small sheets of green stuff on the top of the 32mm bases and pressed them into the molds. The green stuff easily took the shape of the textured bases.




Once the compound had hardened I removed them from the mold and trimmed them to the size of the base using a hobby knife.


The great part about this technique was that I was able to press the 32mm bases on different parts of the large 60mm bases, creating multiple, unique designs from one mold! I spent an evening rolling and pressing bases and ended up with enough for my new force. (combined with the 40mm Shattered Dominion bases I had purchased)


I then super glued the completed models to the bases to complete my build. Next we'll prime and paint!

Our Power level:
Captain in Gravis armor: 7
Ancient: 4
Lieutenants: 10
Intercessor Squad 1: 5
Intercessor Squad 2: 5
Hellblasters Squad: 8
Inceptors: 10
Deathwing Squad 1: 13
Deathwing Squad 2: 13
Deathwing Knights: 12
--------------------------------------
Total: 87

Our expense so far:
Dark Imperium Primaris Marines: $78
Shattered Dominion Bases: $12 (sold unused 60mm bases for $20)
Deathwing Box: $51
Dark Vengeance Deathwing: $18
Used Terminators: $7
Oyamaru: $8
Greenstuff: $8
--------------------------------------
Current Tally: $183
-trip

3 comments:

  1. 8 dollars for green stuff!? I need to know who your supplier is. Cool idea. I'd like to try press molds out at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon.com, my man. And you get a shit-ton of it, too. listed as "kneadalite".

      Delete
  2. I did a post on this very blog for Instant Mold back in the day. Available at your friendly neighborhood Amazon.

    ReplyDelete