Tuesday, April 2, 2019

WIP: Dark Angels Primaris Army - Part 1: It Begins!


There was no containing it.

Tried like hell to contain this to a kill team. I blame Logan, who gave me my first primaris model.

Of course, I swore I'd never paint another Space Marine, but then GW had to go and make the best Space Marines EVER, and I was doomed. Still, I feel better about this because I've unburdened myself of my previous Space Marine army, and am actually building this force with a PLAN.

I ordered the Primaris half of the Dark Imperium starter on ebay for $70. A great price for 22 models, frankly, and set to building right away.


The models are all mono-pose, with the exception of a few arms and head positions (which is fine with me) so they went together quickly. The sculpts are great, and the poses are fairly dynamic. I started with the Lieutenants and moved on to the Captain. I always keep my bare heads separate, to make painting them easier.


I changed his pose and trimmed the armor based on a conversion I saw online. I've left him in sub-assemblies to make it easier to paint his power pack and cape. I was tempted to buy the Dark Angels upgrade pack to change the sword, but couldn't justify the cost for a single bit. (the marines all have molded-in shoulder pads, so the custom pads in the upgrade kit won't work)


I mounted the command units onto 40mm Shattered Dominion bases. These will make a great, cathedral-like theme for my army.

Our Power level:
Captain in Gravis armor: 7
Ancient: 4
Lieutenants: 10
Intercessor Squad 1: 5
Intercessor Squad 2: 5
Hellblasters Squad: 8
Inceptors: 10
--------------------------------------
Total: 49

Our expense so far:
Dark Imperium Primaris Marines: $78
Shattered Dominion Bases: $12 (sold unused 60mm bases for $20)
--------------------------------------
Current Tally: $90

-trip

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Good luck with the project. I recently decided to use the new Primaris marines from the Shadowspear box (also picked up from eBay) to build a Dark Angles primaris-only successor chapter (Blades of Vengence, mentioned in the Vigilis Defiant book). DA's like to keep their Primaris marines at arms length, after all! ;) I look forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to think my own DA primaris project helped you choose the mighty sons of the Lion as your chapter.

    ReplyDelete