Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Discussion - Let's talk about scale creep


Good grief.

What a difference 20 years makes. Not only have there been leaps in manufacturing, allowing infinitely more detailed sculpts and more intricate poses, but the gradual creep in scale is very evident as well.

I was discussing this with a friend, Logan, (you know, that one). He started a primaris army as well, and was clearing out his old marines, like me, because the scales just don't work together. It's really stark when they're side-by-side on the table - it just looks... janky.

The old marines, even the newer, slightly larger models like the deathwatch, just look like children next to the primaris.


He expressed concern over the scale of the terminators as well, but that one I'm not too fussed about. They're certainly a bit shorter, but the bulk sort of balances them out visually. I've also put my characters on cork, allowing them to stand beside the primaris shoulder to shoulder.


Marines aren't the only ones affected by this. I recently purchased Severina to lead my female IG, and the scale and proportion is laughably different. While I certainly don't wish she was sculpted worse, she absolutely looks out of place.


All of this is why I sold my old army and started an entirely primaris one. Are you selling off your "mini" marines? Avoiding primaris? how do you deal with scale creep? let us know in the comments below.

-trip

4 comments:

  1. Scale creep, the Original Imperial Marine and the 30th Anniversary one shows creep in mini Marines..https://weemen.blogspot.com/2016/05/imperial-space-marine-2016-30th.html but my old Beakies hold their own against normal Marines, and I’ve invested too much in old Marines to part with them so instead I’ve embraced Primaris and expanded the background of the Relictors to account for these new reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the primaris get an extra wound to account for that extra mass. :) I'm in denial...but any further work on My Dark Angels will be Primaris based. Fortunately, I never made much painting progress there. But I bought and assembled a lot of metal and plastic...so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically it was primaris that made me want to start an Astartes army. However I feel for those people who amassed a shawty marine collection over 30 years. Wait till you read the updated lore...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the primaris are a lot easier to get a nice paint job on, but I like my little beakies, so they are staying. Probably won't buy and new ones, unless the point cost of a squad comes down, which is GW's aim, i guess

    ReplyDelete