Tuesday, March 24, 2020

WIP: Dark Angels Primaris Army - Part 19: Dark Imperium complete


Our starter army is complete!

A year ago, I purchased the primaris half of the Dark Imperium set on ebay and began an adventure that lasted twelve months.

I decided early on to speed paint the army, avoiding the tedium of panel-lining power armor until my eyes bled, and I don't regret it. With careful dry brushing and airbrush touch-ups on the larger surfaces, the models look great, even up close.

Although it took me nearly a year (I mean, I did build and paint an entire Deathwing army as a digression) if I added up only the time I spent painting, I could have completed this set within a week. Four squads and four characters in a week is OK in my book.


I chose to create the third company, as I liked the red slash over the knee, and the Dark Imperium models built out nearly half of the company as listed in the codex. If I purchased the set a second time, I'd have the entire third company, minus two battle line squads - and those could be filled out by a single Intercessors box.

Hmm. Now that I've written that out, I'm going to have to fight the compulsion to do it.

Everything about this project makes me happy. From the lore, to the models, to my approach in painting it without obsessing over technique. I have an army I like, that makes me glad I chose to embark on this journey.

Here's to a grey tide defeated, and the slow expansion of a collection that brings joy.

-trip

2 comments: