It took a little doing, but I managed a few uninterrupted hours on saturday to finish the Ark. This thing took a LOT longer than I originally anticipated. I suppose you could slap it together, spray it silver and be done with it in a few hours-- but it's never that simple with me.
I added the completed driver to the rear sub assembly, and then used an oil wash to bring out the details and panel lines. I also edge highlighted the yellow areas with a mix of vallejo moon yellow and white. Lastly, I airbrushed the edges of the engines black, and then edge highlighted them with vallejo charcoal grey and cold grey.
I completed the cowling as a separate assembly, using an oil wash on the details, and edge highlighting with a fine brush. I also glued in the control panel.
Prepared for final assembly, all the parts look like this.
I attached the cowling to the rear engine assembly, then I assembled the model in sections. This made it much easier for me to place the gauss flayers and the passengers between the ribs. Once each sub assembly was complete, I joined the two halves of the model, the rear engine assembly and the front passenger carriage, together.
That was were the problems started.
The join surface on the rear engine assembly, where it meets the last spine of the passenger assembly, was not flush. Where the two halves should have come together on a flat surface to allow for as strong a bond as possible, was actually chamfered on each side, causing the model to wobble and bend as the glue tried to set.
I ended up rigging a series of stabilizers using a roll of tape, 3 paint bottles of varying size and a half a glass of water to brace the model while it set. Oy. It seems that everything turned out OK, but when placed on its flying stand, it seems to tip forward slightly. Grrr.
Anyway, it faired really well in its first game, and actually weathered tons of fire from Deet's brand new Storm Raven. The quantum shielding held through three volleys of fire, finally buckling to a crack missile.
Deet's Storm Raven was almost tabled, but judicious use of jinking and purposefully going in and out of reserves saved it. Looked great on the table.
And here's a parting shot. Next week, it's on to my first true love - Tyranids, and the shameless tons of new models they've received.