Tuesday, March 26, 2019

DISCUSSION: I've found my chapter


So that's what that feels like...

I've recently auctioned my entire Space Marine collection, and one of the reasons why I did so was because it never really resonated with me.

You can find a link to the listing HERE if you're interested in buying a piece of the site's history!

I decided to make an Ultramarines successor chapter because I primed my first models grey, and wanted to paint just the shoulder pauldrons and be done. (this is in the days LONG before I had an airbrush, or GW sold chapter specific spray paint.)


Honestly, that's about the WORST way to select a chapter ever. But I plowed ahead, adding units and continuing the same paint scheme I was never really happy with. When I finally read the lore, I wasn't interested in the Ultramarines at all. Nothing about them, their backstory, or their heroes (outside of the Battle of Macragge) captured my imagination.

As I learned about the lore of the chapters, I was envious of players who had chosen the Blood Angles, or the Space Wolves -- armies with personality and unique heroes or backstories.

***

Knowing that my current force is going on the block, I'm free to start fresh. And having been given my first Primaris for Christmas, well, you can see where this is going...

I began reading lore for most of the chapters. Grey Knights were out because Deet already plays them. Space Wolves were cool, but not my style. The Blood Angels had bold colors, and an interesting story, but I'm not into vampires.

And then I saw this.


I mean, look at that guy! And Y'all know I'm a sucker for a guy in a cloak. (also, I art directed Raymond Swanland when he did the covers for 'PRIEST' years ago at Tokyopop - but that's another story)

Then I read the lore. My god. Warrior monks who harbor the dark secret that half their chapter turned to chaos, and are trying to clean up their mess before anyone finds out? And they live on a shard of their destroyed homeworld that's been retrofitted to be a spaceship?! And it has a giant, labyrinthine monastery on it?!

Yes please.

And they have these guys.


I mean, c'mon! How do you NOT play these guys?!

So now I'm starting a Dark Angles army and could not be more excited. Everything feels right about it, and I'm looking forward to painting space marines for the first time in nearly half a decade.

Funny how picking something that appeals to you makes all the difference in the world.

How did you choose your chapter? Tell me in the comments below - I love to learn why people were drawn to one chapter over the others.

-trip

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Welcome to the Unforgiven...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wand chooses the wizard, Harry! Not really, I chose my chapter same as you. I saw some artwork and thought, 'Yeah. This.' Looking forward to you finding your Space Marine groove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. End of an era! Sad to see it go, but man that army shot looks great! Hope you get some good cash out of em!
    And seeing as I can't even fill out a basic force org chart (dating myself) with my GK, I don't think I can claim much of anything. But I'm excited to see you paint Angels, so green it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my fave Chapters. I had the whole 4th Company at some point. Sold off the last of them a while back, not because I disliked them, but because I had way too much stuff and needed more space and there were other things I liked more.

    ReplyDelete