Tuesday, July 17, 2018

WIP: Astra Militarum regimental markings


Finally got around to adding the regimental markings to my AM tanks.


Went back and forth on this forever, but once I added it to my Valkyrie, I knew I'd have to make my tanks match. Ain't OCD grand?

This was pretty simple; I masked the front of the tanks with tape. The trick is to use a rubber sculpting tool, or your fingernail to make sure the tape is tucked tightly into the details of the model. It's never gonna be perfect, but it will save you some heartache down the line.


Once the mask was secure, I applied several thin coats of white.


Once I was happy with that, I added additional strips of tape to mask the white, and sprayed several thin layers of red.


When it dried, I carefully removed the masking tape. As I mentioned above, the tape is never going to be perfect, so a little overspray got through. But, this could have been worse if I wasn't so thorough while packing the mask into the details.


I simply cleaned this up with a brush and some white and red paint. The resulting line isn't as straight as I'd like, but, eh, I'm getting old. What are you gonna do?


After cleaning up the overspray, I added a black wash to the details.


Lastly, I added some chipping using a brush and my base color of green.


Wonder if I'll ever use these in a game...

-trip

2 comments:

  1. Nice and simple, effective and look great in massed squadrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. using weathering to cover up mistakes is my favorite. Looks good in the final!

    ReplyDelete