Thursday, December 22, 2022

Rising From the Ashes


What's that? A hobby post from Deet? What is this, 2018? 

Yep, the last time I made a post of this blog was Mar 2018, and frankly I'm a little stunned by that. Yeah, work, marriage, stuff... really I just got focused on other hobbies and I was a little tired of repetitive painting, but Trip's new YouTube channel knocked me out of my stupor and reminded me how much fun it could be. So I'm back at it!

First thing I did was finally finish up a couple of squads of my Alpha Legion that were about 80% done. They hadn't been touched since July of 2017. Yep. Those will have to come in another post because I had to box them up when our cleaning lady came. But I've now got enough painted to actually play a small game with them...after I pay about $300 in new rule books. Sigh. 

But what better to bring you back into the hobby than a new army? Finish an old army? Piss off with your logic! I've been itching to paint some of the new Marine models, and of course 90% of them can't be used with my Grey Knights, so the only option is a new army. Part of my choosing is always doing something different than the friends I've got playing, just so we're not all fielding the same crap. Trip had Dark Angels covered. Another buddy had Wolves. After a bit of deliberating I finally landed on Salamanders. Now I always seem to pick an army right after they get nerfed, so this just fit into my track record perfectly. The biggest driver was that I didn't really feel like painting black, white, or yellow. And Blood Angels vampire-y stuff ain't for me. So Flame On!



Of course, I went a little overboard. I've got squads of Eradicators and Aggressors all modeled and cleaned up. There's a Primaris Captain that I'm sort of regretting because I've got Vulkan He'stan on it's way to me now (blech, finecast) and it'll be a little bit redundant. And last night I pulled the trigger on some MKIV marines (liked the look for the Salamanders fluff and it's apparently chapter-appropriate), so those'll be in progress shortly. Of course, had to get the Primaris upgrade bits so everyone looks fancy. 

Looking forward to doing some test paint schemes shortly. Don't want to do it on a Primaris so I'll have to wait until the MKIVs show up or see if I can dig something up in the bitz box. 

~Deet

1 comment: