Work and family have not been cooperative with my hobby time of late. It doesn't help that I'm really struggling with these Alpha Legion guys. Just not coming out how I want, and that makes me a lot less interested in sitting down at the table to paint.
Here's what pretty much all of my models look like now- well they're really just a touch greener than these pics, so not SO Ultrasmurf. Same painting pattern on the blues I've been working on for weeks. I thought I had a good direction with spraying some green corrosion around all the base edges (instead of that wash I tried at first which got a little gloppy). Man, the spray green looked good before it dried. Just too subtle now. The model in the header started the same way. You can pick up some of the green tone there, but not much. Once I hit everything with the dark blue oil wash, the blues look great and the green disappears. I'm hoping a satin coat will bring it back out by dropping all that shine and at least giving me a nice consistent luster.
I also opted to go with true metallics. Speed. Just didn't want to deal with NMM on everything. Maybe on the HQs. On a good note, I'm moderately happy with my weathering. I painted the Alpha XX on his shoulder and then sponged the base blue over it to chip it up. Looking OK after a wash to blend it in with everything. I think I can make it work. This guy probably has a bit too much weathering as I was trying some different things out. Definitely too much rust on the shoulder. He could use some more color breaks, but I'm waiting til I've got my other shoulder pads before I jump the gun and overdo that.
Happy Easter all!