Tuesday, February 12, 2019

REVIEW: Citadel Painting Handle


Get a handle on the situation.

Most serious hobbyists don't hold their models when painting. Getting to the details of a miniature can be tricky enough without also delicately grasping the mini's base at the same time.

For years, I used corks or empty paint pots with blue-tac on them to hold minis and give me something more substantial to grip. This allowed not only a better grip, but easier turning of the model while painting.

While this works well enough, I saw the new painting handle and wanted to give it a try. GW's accessories are often overpriced, but always well crafted.


Simply put, the painting handle does exactly what it advertises. It firmly grips any model on a base from 25mm to 60mm using a set of spring loaded clamps with several tiered notches for size. Placing 25 or 32mm bases into the grip is easy, and can be accomplished with one hand while holding the handle. But I found it tricky to insert 40 and 60mm bases, and needed to set the handle down, balance the mini on top, then pull the clamps apart with both hands carefully, letting the mini drop into the grip before releasing the clamps to grip the base.


At $8 US, it's also modestly priced, which is a bit of shock. (considering that GW sels PVA glue, which can be purchased for $1 at any drugstore, for $8.25!)


I would be remiss if I didn't mention Garfy's Get-a-Grip, from our friends at Tale of Painters, as an alternative. He has several different models, including one that has a stabilizing arm, which is great for steadying your hand when painting details.

Ultimately, Citadel's Painting Handle is a helpful tool that makes painting your miniatures easier, and can even help you improve your hobbying. Highly Recommended.

-trip

4 comments:

  1. I was a blu Tac on paint pot man but a convert to the handles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to lend you one of Garfy's to try out. I've got two, though they're the older models. His new ones look like they've really evolved and fixed some of the early shortcomings. I'd love to try them out...if I was painting

    ReplyDelete