Wednesday, October 16, 2013

SHOWCASE: Space Marine Dreadnought



Dieter pointed out to me that I have over 2,000 points of Space Marines, and haven't posted a single image of them yet. So Here's the first of what should be many Space Marine themed showcases in the coming months - a Dreadnought from the Assault on Black Reach starter set.

This was the first "large" miniature I ever painted, and it was a lot of fun. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and taking a break from all the tiny, intricate detail on the AoBR Orks and Space Marines was a welcome relief.

I really enjoyed applying the metallic paints, old GW washes (hooray, Badab Black!) and then dry brushing to bring out the details. Copper elements help break up the color surface, and give some additional visual interest to the rear of the model.


This was also my first attempt at sculptural / diorama basing. The extra room on the 60mm base inspired me to do a bit of story telling, so I added smashed concrete and some twisted wreckage around the Dreadnought's feet, implying that it's just smashed through a ruin on a relentless rampage.

I've banged up the model a bit to really emphasize the battle damage. A keen look at the shoulders and other outer edges will reveal several gouges and dents made with a hobby knife and drill bit.


Despite being one of the very first models I completed, I'm very pleased with the way this piece turned out, and I'm proud to have it standing on the table top next to more recent models I've finished. I've always meant to take a pin vise, and drill out the barrels on the multi-melta - it'll go a long way towards hiding those mould lines I left on there! Maybe I'll do that this weekend...

Are you working on a space marine army? Have a Dreadnought you're proud of? Be sure to comment below!


-trip

No comments:

Post a Comment