Wednesday, June 11, 2014

WIP: Grey Knights...Well That Didn't Work.


Been crazy busy at work lately and I didn't have much time to paint this week.  I was excited to finally belly up to the painting table on Sunday night.  The results were not impressive.


So last week we had a lively discussion about putting a blue wash on Grey Knights to add a little depth to the plain metal.  I've seen it done on some of my favorite blogs, and the results are great.

I did some quick research in to the methods of my favorite examples.  The two prevailing techniques- 1. Blue plus a touch of black, lots of Lahmian medium,  2. Blue plus metallic, lots of Lahmian.  I decided to go with #2, as I like the idea of that metallic blending, even though it still should shine through with #1 if you don't overdo it.

So I went with Macragge Blue (the only decent true blue in my box currently) mixed with some Vallejo Air Steel.  The result was a rather grey steel blue.  It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I decided to try it out anyway on one part.  I ended up really liking it.  Rather than the usual blue energy vibe it you see, it had this ghostly quality to it that made them feel a little spooky.  Could have been great for some Ghost Knights.  I happily slapped it on the rest of the parts. Looked pretty cool. Went to bed.

Then it dried.

Here's the results.  Just look at that amazing glow in all the nooks and crannies!



Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  What the hell happened to my 2 hours of work? Completely disappeared. Did gremlins get to it? Did I dream it? No seriously, have I been working so hard I dreamt about painting? Nope, there it is on my paint tray. Paint usually dries darker than you see it while applying. Maybe this just dried so much darker it blended with the existing paint? Doesn't make much sense. As I mentioned last post, theres a 3-grade gradient on these parts and it doesn't show anywhere from light to dark. Very bizarre.  

Well, back to the drawing board.  Time to try out method #1. Unfortunately, work is not going to let up for at least 2 weeks and I'll be lucky if I get any days off, but I'm hoping to sneak a game in this weekend at the least.

~Deet

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I wonder what happened. Maybe apply a second coat of this formula?

    ReplyDelete