Monday, December 8, 2014

WIP: Dreadknight Base


Quick update today on the Dreadknight. Spent most of my hobby time this weekend working on the base.  Check er out.

Laid out all the parts as best I could, trying to keep that ruined temple floor/jungle thing going  It's tough to make a consistent looking floor on a gigantic base when you're starting with 40mm as your largest size for the tiles. Luckily it works out pretty well when you have nature attacking it. I just had to make sure I wasn't getting too obvious with the 4x4 tiles.

I decided to not overdo it with the fancy Scibor parts and only put in the one broken head. On further reflection, I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the placement (it'll be between the legs of the DK) but the base looks pretty good here on its own. Will have to be careful with my photo angles so he doesn't look like he pooped that head out. Next, I broke out the new Green Stuff and added all the vines and leaves. So much easier to work with than my old stuff. I'm pretty happy with it and look forward to trying something a little tougher soon.

Primed it all up and then based it with Rhinox Hide. I'm very close to breaking out the brushes on this project. Can't wait. 

Think it might be time to change my spray booth base...eew.
~Deet

4 comments:

  1. Base looking good already Deet. I think my favorite part of making bases is right after you prime and put that first coat on. Suddenly all makes sense and gives you that super happy feeling.

    I feel you on the spray booth...i just realized mine was on a black table, then remembered the table used to be white. Oops. Glad I wear a respirator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is looking great! can't wait to see what it looks like once you paint it and use the weathering powders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those vines and leaves are pretty impressive!
    Any chance we can get a sculpting tutorial on those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Those things are pretty quick and easy to sculpt.

      Delete